Saturday, April 3, 2010

BP3_2010041_Discovery_Web2.0_Tech


Wikispaces

One Web 2.0 tool I found was Wikispaces (2010). Basically as it’s name implies it’s a wiki platform. Creating an account was simple. I was amazed at how intuitive it was to create a post. Anyone familiar with Microsoft Word, Google Docs, and most web email systems will feel right at home with Wikispaces. I applaud the developers on the overall layout and functions of the site. An intuitive layout allows for an easier implementation and adoption into the curriculum without worrying about a steep learning curve.

My initial thought is Wikispaces could be beneficial to one of the leadership development programs at my organization. The program is composed of a group of high potentials. These are employees that have the characteristics of leaders and could potentially be a good future candidate for an executive role. A wiki would be a good medium to collaboratively capture their discussions, ideas, and best practices. I envision a wealth of knowledge not only for current participates but future participants as well.

Since these individuals will be discussing propriety and confidential information security is always a concern. Wikispaces provides a private label option that is secure and can restrict access to wikis based on user name. This is great feature, since it will allow us to create wikis for several of our learning and development programs; and control which users could see and post to their respective wiki. Looking through their site I noticed that several large organizations use their platform including IBM, DOW, and Pitney Bowes (Wikispaces, 2010). Clients like those attest to how secure their service is.

I think Wikispaces definitely deserves a deeper look. I will propose the idea to my colleagues to see what they think about it. If not Wikispaces, a wiki solution of some sort would be a great asset to the learning and development programs at my organization.

References

Wikispaces. (2010). Your own hosted wiki environment. Retrieved April 3, 2010, from http://www.wikispaces.com/site/privatelabel/business2

No comments:

Post a Comment